Sunday, January 24, 2010

A week at The Airport

I could not resist when heard about 'A Week At The Airport: A Heathrow Diary' by Alain De Botton.

I love travelling and I always find airports very interesting places to be. If I have time, I’d like to go to the airport early to spend sometime and just observe people passing by. I think that airports have quite a different energy under their cold and artificial architecture.

So this is what Alain De Botton writes about his one week stay at Heatrow Airport in summer 2009 as a first ever Writer in Residence of Heatrow Airport. He meets travelers from around the world; he interviews with the personnel from cleaners to security guys and tells us their story in his philosophical and sophisticated way. Easy and joyful reading.

After Heatrow Dairy, I had a chance to read about days and night story of Istanbul Ataturk Airport from Onur Basturk.

Onur decided to spend 5 days and 4 nights at Istanbul Ataturk Airport like Alain De Botton and as a journalist he draws a completely different picture of his days. He gives us te opportunity to learn about the terminology of the airport dialogues, interesting stories from the security of passport personnel and most interesting he visits the air traffic controllers which I could die to visit myself. Onur writes only in Turkish, if you feel like you can check out his blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment